As you move from winter to spring, apart from putting away all your woolies, you’re sure to have to change a few things around your house, or just decorate it differently for spring. Here are a few things you could do to decorate your home for the new season—Spring.
- Remove all unwanted things: Take off your thick curtains and blinds and replace them with light and filmy curtains or sheers in the colors of spring. Roll up your thick rug and replace them with cotton rugs in light pastel shades.
- Rearrange the furniture: If the winter forced you to have your furniture bang in front of the fireplace, you can now rearrange it away from the fireplace. This way, the center of attention could be the view of your garden or anything other than the mantel.
- Fill your house with the flowers of the season: Choose the ones you want that add freshness, beauty and color to your room. Bring in a touch of green too and spring flowers like tulips, hibiscus, geraniums, daffodils, poppies and violets.
- Clear out all ash from the fireplace: Remove all ash from the fireplace and fill the area with silk plants, or give it a new look by laying out birch logs or give it a spot of color by decorating it with fresh flowers and ferns. A new look to the fireplace can make your home look inviting.
- Bring out your sheers: Spring is the time to bring home the warmth of the season, so use sheer pillows, bed skirts, curtains and tablecloths. They could be plain, printed or embroidered, but they’re sure to look serene and welcoming.
- Spray room freshener or fragrance: After living in a closed environment right through the winter, it’s time you changed the air by using some air freshener or perfume. Alternatively, light perfumed candles with the scent of spring flowers or place potpourri on the mantel shelf.
- Create a warm environment with soft lighting: Use spotlights to give a soft glow in the evenings and create a calm atmosphere. Switch off your bedroom and bathroom lights during the day—after all, daylight lasts for about 14 hours a day.
- Sweep your porch: lean your porch and wash and paint your doors and windows here. This is the time to clean up your garden, grow spring plants, and buy a swing and a few benches. Then, wait for your friends to ring your door bell.